The underwriter will review regulatory compliance with disclosures, validate data used by an automated underwriting system to decision loans, and perform a comprehensive review of the appraisal report. The underwriter will determine if the loan meets underwriting guidelines, product guidelines, investor requirements and eligibility requirements and also analyze the credit report, all necessary income and asset documentation and title report. The underwriter will update information regarding the loan transaction in the loan origination system with the appropriate status and loan conditions. In addition, the underwriter will review and clear conditions prior to closing. Must have 3 years of recent frontline underwriting experience. Wholesale underwriting experience a plus. Must have excellent customer service skills.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Perform a cursory review of the loan file for compliance with Federal disclosure requirements to include the Net Tangible Benefits worksheet.
- Validate the data used by the AUS to make a credit decision. This includes but is not limited to:
– Verify all loan term obligations were considered to qualify
– Thoroughly analyze the credit report for all current obligations
– Determine any borrower SSN or address issues; address fraud alerts
– Analyze derogatory credit, including but not limited to collections, judgements, foreclosures, other public records to meet AUS/program guides
– Review detailed Fraud report
– Determine income used to qualify the loan was calculated correctly
– Including all income types with completing a self-employed analysis and/or wage earner/non-taxable income worksheet(s)
– Ensure assets used for the source of funds to close and for reserves are acceptable and accurate
– Establish that documentation required by the AUS is in the file or becomes a condition of the loan approval
- Perform a comprehensive review of the appraisal report and all supporting documentation. This includes but is not limited to:
– Verify the report was performed by a licensed/certified appraiser and meets client’s and investor/agency requirements.
– Determine that the property meets investor guidelines.
– Ascertain that the appraiser has supported his/her opinion of market value.
– Establish that the appraisal report is complete and free of any inconsistencies and that the property is sufficient.
- Evaluate the application, supporting credit, income and asset documentation, the appraisal report and the contract of sale to uncover inconsistencies and potential misrepresentation in the loan file.
- Determine if the loan was submitted to underwriting in accordance with the program and terms registered or locked with Client’s secondary marketing department. Resubmit the loan to Client’s AUS, when validated data falls outside of AUS tolerance levels.
- Resubmit the loan to client’s AUS, when validated data falls outside of AUS tolerance levels.
- Identify loan conditions that must be cleared prior to closing and/or at closing.
- Enter/correct data in LOS. Data includes the status and recommended conditions for the approval.
- Review and clear “prior to closing” conditions that have been identified as the underwriter’s responsibility.
- Communicate as needed with Client’s staff and customers.
Service Level Requirements:
One Business day (24 hours)
- Perform initial review of loan
– Upon receipt of assigned loan
- Subsequent loan review
– Loan pended for additional information – upon receipt of all the required documentation necessary to make a decision
One business day (24 hours)
- Review and clear prior-to-closing conditions
– Upon receipt of the conditions
- Rush requests will be prioritized for review same day
– Upon receipt of the rush request
Two (2) business hours
- Return email inquiries and phone calls; pre-funding condition review/accuracy review
– Upon receipt of an email
- Quality control will be maintained at 95% or better.
- Be able to trouble shoot basic technology issues.
- Accessible from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 PM. Local time Monday – Friday
- Proper Communicate required with your managers for any time off requests, delayed starts, questions on work being reviewed
- Underwriters to update internal systems simultaneously with client systems to provide underwriting completion dates.
- Complete time and attendance and code properly daily.
- Enter all work the same day as reviewed in the company provided tracking system
- Double check your production report daily for all work completed each day
- A minimum of 3 loans per day must be underwritten plus 6- 12 conditions to keep conditions within SLA
- All work in your queue must be cleared daily.
- High speed internet access ( this is not paid by the company)
- Dual monitors.
- Anti-virus software on system.
- You will be assigned a Skype number
Required Education and Experience
– High School diploma; college degree preferred
– 3 years of recent Underwriting experience required.
– This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Remote – candidate should have space and ability to work professionally from home environment. Dual Monitors, laptop or desktop (must have anti-virus software), printer/scanner recommended but not required.
– This position requires no travel.